Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Do you hate your iPad?

Cruising through the mass of stuff to read on the internet this morning, I hit this headline on Slate.com: "I Hate My iPad." The article, by John Swansburg, said that he felt he didn't improve his life with his $600 investment. In fact, he said that spending his money on a salad spinner would have been more productive. Pow! Zing!

Digging a little deeper, the author admits the iPad is nice for browsing the web, but he likes the Kindle more for reading books because of the sharp e-ink screen. He hates typing on the iPad and generally doesn't think it is a big enough improvement over his laptop to justify the additional expense.

Fair enough. Reading the piece forced me to think about my own iPad purchase. However, I came to opposite conclusions. At home, the iPad has pretty much replaced my laptop for email and web surfing, and I do some heavy-duty control via VNC of some other computers in the house, even when I'm not home.

Using apps like Pulse, reading RSS feeds is a pleasurable experience, and while Pulse runs on the iPhone, the extra screen real estate makes the iPad a completely different experience. Sure, the iPad's software keyboard is not a great solution for extensive word processing or long emails, but you can pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard.

Continue reading Do you hate your iPad?

Do you hate your iPad? originally appeared on TUAW on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

Maggie Grace Luján Fernández Charli Baltimore Denise Richards Jennifer Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment