Friday, December 24, 2010

Clare Maguire, Katy B and the Pierces: pop's new queens in waiting

Three of the next year's most hotly tipped female acts tell us about their Mercury hopes, the future of the music business, and what they would spin at Will and Kate's wedding

Clare Maguire

How has 2010 been for you?

It's been a remarkable year. I've been able to finish my album and I've been touring with Hurts and Plan B, both of which have been incredible for me as a live artist, because they allowed me to develop and push my boundaries. So it's been an inspiring year.

Are you surprised to be a hot tip for 2011?

I think it's always a surprise when you get people excited about your work or pushing you, because you live in your own world when you're making art. Writing is a very isolated experience, especially because I didn't have any communication with people online ? I took myself off MySpace, and I have no Facebook. I didn't want any distractions or too many opinions.

Only three women have ever won the Mercury prize. Do you fancy your chances next year?

The Mercury prize is one of the most critically acclaimed things any artist can get, and I'd be very excited if I won it, but I don't think my chances are very high. They give it to people who create things that are more music-based, and my project is about more things ? basically, I've created a world around my life. The album is called Lights After Dark, and it goes through into my body of ideas and my artwork. I don't know if it would be the right thing [to win the Mercury prize]. Hopefully, they'd appreciate it.

In the future, will artists be forced to give their music away for free and make a living through touring?

That's very likely. It's almost come to that stage now. But in a way that's good ? a lot of [artists] only think about album sales and getting their music on the radio, so [having to tour to make money] would make them concentrate on the art and the visuals.

What do you want to find in your Christmas stocking?

I'd like to find lots of music and things that mean something, like if somebody makes something for me.

Most women in 2010's Top 10 were R&B queens like Beyonc� and Rihanna or pop girls like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. A good thing?

Yes, why not? It's always a good thing if it's making somebody happy. I believe there's an audience for my music. It's very emotive and very epic, and the one thing I want people to take from it is a belief in something.

Mike Skinner has made an artform of what have been called "hungover tweets". What's your own Twitter style?

I've actually written a song with Mike Skinner, and it's going to be on his new album. He sent me a beat and I wrote the chorus. I love his style and everything he does, but [his style of tweeting] is him. I'm on Twitter now ? the reason I wasn't before was 'cos I hadn't finished my album. But now I want to communicate. My style is relatable, but I couldn't do that tweeting all the time and saying things constantly, because it's not me. I don't give away too much. The way I'm going to do online things is to create little tiny videos that are happening with me and put it to music.

Apparently, one of Prince William and Kate Middleton's favourite songs is I Like the Way You Move by Bodyrockers. What records would you play at their wedding disco?

I'd play one of mine ? Last Dance, that would be perfect, 'cos the chorus goes "I'll save my last dance for you". Then I'd have James Brown ? I Got You ? and Jay-Z ? 99 Problems.

Cheryl or Nadine?

I met Nadine and she was really nice, but my A&R is also Cheryl's A&R, so he'd get angry ? Can I say both, because they both have positive traits.

Who are your own tips for 2011?

Jamie Woon, Liam Bailey and Jessie J.

The album Lights After Dark will be released on Polydor on 28 February.

Katy B

How has 2010 been for you?

At the beginning of the year I was stressed out, 'cos I was finishing my degree [in Popular Music at London's Goldsmith's College] and finishing my album at the same time. I had to do a performance [for the course], so I got my tutors to come to a gig and hear me sing. So now I'm going to graduate! It was a big relief when the course finished, 'cos then Mission [the hit single Katy on a Mission] came out and it took on a mad life of its own. I got to go to Ibiza and got played on the radio, so it's been an amazing year.

Are you surprised to be hotly tipped for 2011?

Yes. I'm very flattered. I hope I do what I'm supposed to do ? whatever that is.

Only three women have ever won the Mercury prize. Do you fancy your chances next year?

Yeah, I fancy them. Awards are funny things, aren't they? It's always great to have something on your mantelpiece, but everyone who's put up for those things always has a great quality of music and a very different style to mine. I make music and if people like it, they like it, and some people won't. I'd love to have any nomination.

In the future, will artists be forced to give their music away for free and make a living through touring?

That's probably how it is now. There's loads of people giving away music for free. I don't think I'm going to make most of my living from my record sales. There's a whole generation who thinks [illegal] downloading is their way of buying now. People do buy, but loads more download for free.

What do you want to find in your Christmas stocking?

A tangerine. And a spa day. I love being pampered and facials and things, so a day at a ridiculously expensive spa.

Most women in 2010's Top 10 were R&B queens like Beyonc� and Rihanna or pop girls like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. A good thing?

I'm a big fan of Beyonc� and Rihanna. I've listened to Beyonc� all my life, and she's a big influence on me. But it wasn't just R&B and pop that did well, 'cos the Florences of this world are doing really well, too. I've just got to carry on singing how I want to sing, and if people are going to like it they like it.

Mike Skinner has made an artform of what have been called "hungover tweets". What's your own Twitter style?

On tour the other day, my MC, my hypeman, Tippademus, was taking photos of me asleep with my mouth open and pictures of my bare feet and posting them on his Twitter feed. My own tweets are just me saying thank you to people who contact me. I'm more likely to just read everyone else's.

Apparently, one of Prince William and Kate Middleton's favourite songs is I Like the Way You Move by Bodyrockers. What records would you play at their wedding disco?

A song by Gwen Stefani called Luxurious. It's over a Biggie beat and it goes "Love is getting expensive." And if they don't know any good old music I'd play some old soul for them. You have to do your groundwork first.

Cheryl or Nadine?

Cheryl. It used to be Nadine, 'cos she has a better voice, but you just have to love Cheryl.

Who are your own Tips for 2011?

An MC called P Money ? he MCs over a lot of dubstep tracks and he's amazing. And a singer called Jamie George, who's Lily Allenesque, but a man.

? Katy B's album (title to be confirmed) will be out in March.

Allison Pierce of the Pierces

How has 2010 been for you?

We finished our record and got a record deal; I feel like we're in a really good place and ready for 2011. We started working with Guy Berryman from Coldplay ? somehow he heard some of our songs, and he asked if we wanted us to open for Coldplay in South America. It was the day after Catherine [her sister and fellow band member] and I broke up and decided to do solo records, and we said, "We'll have to put the band back together ? but OK."

Are you surprised to be hotly tipped for 2011?

Considering we've been doing this for about 10 years, it's kinda funny to be thought of as a new thing. But we're happy to be a hot tip.

Only three women have ever won the Mercury prize. Do you fancy your chances next year?

We have English ancestors, so maybe we could qualify. But hell yeah, it's about time for another woman to win it.

In the future, will artists be forced to give their music away for free and make a living through touring?

Nobody can force you, but it's possible that will come to pass. You don't make that much from selling records, anyway, because labels take such a large share, so the majority of money is always through touring and publishing.

What do you want to find in your Christmas stocking?

Money. And some guitar strings.

Most women in 2010's Top 10 were R&B queens like Beyonc� and Rihanna or pop girls like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. A good thing?

Our music is different from Katy Perry pop, but I wouldn't be surprised to find ourselves with a big hit. We've been doing this our whole lives, so it would be a natural progression.

Mike Skinner has made an artform of what have been called "hungover tweets". What's your own Twitter style?

The label gets on to me for not tweeting enough, but I can't get into it. Catherine does most of the tweeting. I don't look at anyone's tweets and I don't follow anyone, but I've been trying go to start doing it. I see Twitter is fun for people and they enjoy it and get something out of it, but I feel I don't need to share every little emotion I have with the world.

Apparently, one of Prince William and Kate Middleton's favourite songs is I Like the Way You Move by Bodyrockers. What records would you play at their wedding disco?

Do you mean what I think they'd like? They might like some Prince ? everybody likes Prince. And one that might expand their horizons ? how about The High Road by Broken Bells? They might scratch their heads a little, but it's hard to not at least kind of get it.

Cheryl or Nadine?

Oh, Cheryl. She has a lot more class. I'm only going by Nadine's video; I feel like there's a level of sexy and if you cross it you kind of lose an audience. She was wearing tiny little outfits. With some people you don't mind but with others it's over the top.

Who are your own tips for 2011?

My friend Nicole Atkins, who's a songwriter from New York, and very talented. She's almost like Roy Orbison, if he'd been a woman.

? The album You & I will be released on Polydor on 14 March.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Natalie Imbruglia Patricia Velásquez Jennifer Morrison Adrianne Palicki Amanda Righetti

No comments:

Post a Comment